“I will study your commandments and reflect on your ways. I will delight in your decrees and not forget your word” (Psalm 119.15-16 NLT).
I tell people often that I read the Bible because I know how valuable it is to my entire life. It is literally like water to my spirit. And since my spirit is eternal, it supersedes and shapes my natural being as well — body, mind, emotions and will. I read God’s Word because it gives me energy, clears my mind, directs my path, draws me to God, abates my worries and satisfies my soul!
Here are 11 reason why I read my Bible every day!
1. The Bible is our Guide. If God can direct the universe, then He can direct our lives. Reading the Owners Manual to Life (the Bible) is the only way to live life at its best design.
“Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path” (Psalm 119.105 NLT).
2. The Bible is our Sustenance. We are both physical and spiritual beings, so we need natural food and supernatural food to stay strong and healthy, especially through difficult times.
“People do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God” (Matthew 4.4 NLT).
3. The Bible is Alive. The Bible is not only a physical book, it is a supernatural Source of Good. It is God’s Living Water (His Presence) moving through our lives (John 7.38).
“For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires” (Hebrews 4.12 NLT).
4. The Bible will Bless us. Reading the Bible promotes wellness in our lives as we allow it to shape our beliefs, thoughts and actions. We may not feel the results of its nourishment at first, but our daily reading will eventually become evident.
“God blesses the one who reads the words of this prophecy to the church, and he blesses all who listen to its message and obey what it says…” (Revelation 1.3 NLT).
5. The Bible Purifies our lives. Reading the Bible is to the spirit like water is to the body, it purifies! It gets rid of all the spiritual toxins (doubt, worry, fear, etc.) and replaces it with pure liquid Jesus and all that good found in Him!
“How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your word” (Psalm 119.9 NKJV).
6. The Bible corrects and equips. We can live in victory because the Bible is cutting out all that is not of God and replacing it with things that actually help us overcome. Letting God correct us leaves room for Him to equip us!
“All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work” (2 Timothy 3.16-17 NLT).
7. The Bible is Jesus. The Bible says that Jesus is the Word spoken to create and redeem all of us. Jesus is the Person of God and His presence flows in the Bible. When we read it, we drink of the very presence of Jesus and all that good contained in Him.
“In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God. He existed in the beginning with God. God created everything through him, and nothing was created except through him” (John 1.1-3 NLT)
8. The Bible is Healing. The well-spring of Jesus’ healing power is found in the Bible. Once we fully believe God and His promises found in His Word, our faith WILL activate Jesus’ power in our spiritual, physical, relational, emotional and mental lives!
“He personally carried our sins in his body on the cross so that we can be dead to sin and live for what is right. By his wounds you are healed” (1 Peter 2.24 NLT).
9. The Bible is our only Offensive Weapon. God protects us, but He does give us one tool to fight back and to overcome, His Word. Reading the Bible every day will make us better at wielding our Swords and fighting the good fight of faith (2 Timothy 4.7-8)!
“Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God” (Ephesians 6.17 NLT).
10. The Bible is Freedom. If we feel oppressed by thoughts or limited by our own attitudes, the Bible is Truth. And once we know the truth about who we are in Christ, we will live in the freedom that God has given us as His children and co-heirs with Christ (Romans 8.17).
“And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” (John 8.32 NLT).
11. Don’t forget! The Bible is Eternal. So everything it gives us as we read it each day stays with us forever!
“Heaven and earth will disappear, but my words will never disappear” (Matthew 24.35 NLT).
If you need help reading God’s Word, purchase my 366 daily devotional that contains short insights based on all books of the New and Old Testament. Purchase on Amazon: Slay the Day!